This week at church the sermon was on God's calling. For those of you who do not believe in God, or who wish not to read about religious ideas stop now :) For the rest of you read on.
In children's church we talked about God's calling, and listening for God's voice. The question was asked has God ever spoken to you (either in a dream, or directly, or just a feeling you might have had). The kids are always super creative with their answers and this Sunday was no different. One made up a dream, one said that God provides comfort when she is sad, and a couple said God talks to them when they are getting ready to do something they shouldn't. After church Ryan gave me the insert from the bulletin to read and again it was on God's calling for our lives, and how to determine what is a calling and what is created in our own minds.
Two criteria: a. is it something you feel you have to do, b. is it helping to make the world a better place. If you can say yes to both of these then you are probably following God's calling, if not then it may be time to reassess.
I feel like God "talks" with me a lot. Sometimes I choose to listen and follow, which is always the smartest and easiest choice. Sometimes I choose to put my fingers in my ears and say "I'm not listening, I'm not listening", which always ends up the way God had planned it, it just takes longer, and sometimes the road is bumpy! For example, when God said "home school your kids", I said "no way!!!". I was like Moses, and made every excuse in the book, don't pick me, choose someone else. However, God has a funny way of getting around my stupidity and getting me to follow him even if I don't want to. I have always felt like my "calling" was to be a wife and a mother. I have always wanted a family ever since I can remember. I didn't just want the fairy tale, I wanted the work, and the stress, and the entire life. I went to college just to pass the time until I could have a family, I took a job as a teacher again just to pass time. But in the end I knew that I wanted to be a stay at home Mom and I have to say it has been one of the best decisions Ryan and I made. Which makes me think that this is where God wants me right now. This is not to say that every day is amazing and wonderful, but God never promised life would be easy!
I also feel that God is moving us in this new direction in our lives. We have talked about moving for years and years, but it isn't until right now that it just feels right. It feels like everything is moving us/ pushing us in this direction. Some people still look at us as we are strange. I mean how many people say "well we are going to put our house on the market, we have no idea where we are going or if we can truly afford it, but we are going to trust God to work this out." However, we feel in our bones that this is the best for our family right now. So we shall see where God decides to put us, and what he holds for our future. What I can say for today is that I am beyond excited to be following his path, and I am super happy for the direction our family is going!
3 comments:
Sometime you and I should get together so I can share my recent expience at church with you. I think you are one of my few friends who would really get it.
I would love to hear all about it, now I am curious :)
Stacy, I am turly inspired by you on a daily basis. You have helped to steer our family into a wonderfully exciting, scary, and good place. I am in debt to you.
Post a Comment