So if the past has taught me anything it is that I can not control life (mine or anyone else's!). We like to think we can control our lives but honestly it just takes one medical issue, one car wreck, one injury to really make you think hard about the actual things you can control! Food is one thing I can control (along with exercise, sleep, and some stress!). So today lets talk through some tips and tricks for starting the whole 30.
For those that don't know whole 30 is a program that focuses on high quality, nutritious food. So you eat meat (organic and grass fed if possible), vegetables, fruit, nuts, and seeds. You will need to avoid all dairy (butter included), oils, sugar (in ALL it's forms), legumes (peanuts, beans) grains (including corn!). You need to read every single label because sugar, soy, canola oil, and gluten hide in many common items (spaghetti sauce, tuna, salad dressing, etc). The catch is you can't cheat, not even once! If you cheat you must start over. For more detailed information please check out the book It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig or head over to their website Whole 9 Life. You can get the guidelines and information free from their site but I strongly recommend the book so you can understand why you should do this!
So a few tips:
1. Plan, plan plan! I plan a week at a time. I use a dry erase board and plan every meal and snack that my family will eat. I always write down exactly what we are doing each day so I can make sure I have portable food when need be. A plan allows you to shop smart and it helps you to make better choices when your week gets super busy!
2. Make a grocery list. Include everything you need for meals and snacks. You will save money going to the store once a week (though in the beginning you are going to feel like you are spending a fortune!).
3. Read every single label. Even if you think it will be compliant, read the label any way. Nothing worse than going to the store, spending money, and then finding out you can eat it :/
4. Pinterest is your friend but remember to double check that recipes are compliant. I often see things listed as whole 30 but they include cheese or some ingredient that isn't whole 30 approved.
5. Buy produce that is in season. It is cheaper and has a better flavor.
6. Make your own ghee! It is super easy and is much cheaper.
7. Be careful with nuts! They are super easy to over eat and cause some digestive distress.
8. Don't weigh yourself AT ALL!!!! Seriously, you are going to weigh heavier for a bit because your body is going to detox. Trust me don't worry about your weight, or bloating or anything else! The results will come but it takes time.
9. Avoid temptations. My kids know that during whole 30 I am not going to be making pancakes, we are not having cake or ice cream or anything else that I may want to overeat. I just don't buy it. Now I do allow them to have some snacks that I can't eat but usually things they like but I don't (yogurt covered pretzels).
10. Check weekly ads to get the best price on produce.
11. If you feel tired avoid a heavy work out. Take a walk outside or do some yoga but don't push yourself.
12. Be kind to yourself! This is hard, but it isn't impossible and it truly is worth it! Also you are helping your body so take a break, rest, read, relax!
13. Do not over do any 1 food! You can develop an allergy to foods if your body is detoxing and you over do a food. Example: I am now very allergic to coconut because during my first whole 30 I was eating coconut flakes, using coconut oil, and eating coconut butter! My body decided that was enough and now I can not eat coconut at all!
14. Find products you love and stick with them. Examples: Lara Bars are great portable snacks (Cherry, Blueberry, Apple Pie, and Banana Bread are my favorites!). Avocado oil is great for a salad or over a sweet potato. Sweet potatoes cook super fast and go great with a boiled chicken thigh!
Lastly, this is going to feel hard at first but I promise it does get easier and you will find new favorites. You will also find energy you didn't know existed. So why not give it a try? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain! I mean who doesn't want a better understanding of how food affects them?!?!?!

No comments:
Post a Comment