This year we decided to go and cut our own tree down, instead of going to a lot and buying one. We did this one year when Mason was really little and it was fun. The kids had a great time walking through the trees to find the perfect one. However, we quickly learned that we each had a different "perfect tree" in mind. Luckily we know how to compromise and we found a tree that everyone loved.
Here is Jodie with the tree she liked.

Here is the winner! The man that owns the tree farm said they won't be able to be open much longer because the trees are pretty picked over. We thought they had several left, guess that's why we don't own a tree farm!

Watching Daddy cut down the tree.

Mason wanted to cut down the tree until he had a turn. He quickly decided it wasn't as fun as it looked.

Mason did help carry the tree.

Jodie likes the tree a lot. She really likes to lay under it.

Mason hanging his ornaments up high so Cowboy can't get them.

Ryley hanging her ornaments.

Jodie taking her ornaments off the tree. She doesn't like to hang them up, just take them off.

Here it is, our families "perfect" Christmas tree. I realized today that when Ryan and I were first married, I wished for someone to help me decorate the tree. Now I have three helpers and I wish I could just do it myself (ha ha ha)! We had a fun time hanging all the ornaments and rehanging them, and rehanging them (Jodie really likes to take them off!). Luckily the dog seems unaffected by the tree. He sniffs it, he has tried to take a couple ornaments, but overall he has done a better job than the kids. However, Cowboy does love the tree skirt, so I have had to replace it several times.
2 comments:
I'm so glad you had a good trip to a tree farm!
We officially gave up on live trees this year. Most of the tree farms around here are on their way out...and over the last 5 years they've steadily stopped planting so that it was getting really tough to find a good tree in the size we wanted. We've tried buying trees off of the lots, but twice had to replace one before Christmas because they died so quickly. (Like in a week!)
SO, this year we used my grandparent's artificial tree. It hasn't been used in 15 years, and I'd never seen them use the entire tree. To our delight it's huge, and in really good shape!
BUT, I still miss the live trees....
There is such joy in decorating a Christmas tree. Wonder what the attraction is? Pretty ornaments? Togetherness? Looking at things and remembering who made them? Or who gave them to us? It's all of this - and more! I miss not having someone to help me decorate. Seems useless to do it. Or so I thought this year. Then I remembered the "real" reason for the season, and I got some things out to tastefully place around my home - things that have special meaning....... like the "NOEL" train that Craig, Marc, or Matthew would rearrange to spell "LEON" or "ONLE". Or the ugly angel someone gave me one year as a joke. Now that's the true meaning of Christmas......
Post a Comment