Sunday, April 19, 2009

God is Laughing!

So if you read my blog at all you know the saying at the top of my blog says "If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plans!" and if you know me at all you know that I am constantly planning everything. So here is how this goes... I ask Ryan if we will ever get a pet for the kids, and he says sure one day. I then ask about cats and he says "Never". So I put this idea out of my head for awhile and even told everyone we will never have a cat and may never have a dog. Thinking we are just not pet people. So last week I start thinking about pets again and I make the mistake of going on-line to the Humane Society website to look at dogs. We find tons of cute dogs, but I am not convinced I want the responsibility of a dog right now and as I am fully aware any pet that we bring in will be my responsibility. So I think maybe we will get a dog later this summer, but something in me decides that I really want to look at the cats since they do not seem to need as much as dogs (the walking daily, fenced yard, training, etc.). I tell Ryan my plan and he says "No Cats!". But of course this doesn't deter me so on Saturday we went to town and some how ended up at the Humane Society. Ryley has found the cat she wants and her name is Cinderella. Well come to find out Cinderella is not that friendly, but there is another cat there that is adorable in his own way and loves the kids. So today we went to price cat stuff and we went back to the shelter to "look". Some how Tigger followed us home. Yep that's right folks the people who swore we would never own a cat are now the proud owners of Tigger. In fact when we went to the shelter today Ryan said he did not want an orange cat or a large cat and guess what? Tigger is both orange and large.
Isn't he pretty? He has lived at the shelter most of his life which is why he is so big. He is almost 2 (1 year and 10mths) and he is very tolerant of the children.
He purrs like there is no tomorrow and has had fun exploring our house. Of course both kids cried because they really wanted him to sleep in their beds, but we are hoping that he will sleep downstairs.


The kids love him and want to pet him constantly. Jodie follows him around saying, "hi, hi, hi, hi", but he doesn't seem to mind. Oh and even Ryan thinks he is the coolest cat ever! Yes those were his exact words.

So other than being a little freaked out that we just adopted a cat and I have no clue about cats, we are very excited and hopeful that Tigger is going to love being our family pet. If you have any advice please feel free to share.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you kidding me??? I am in shock you got one - I would have guessed a dog way before a Cat. well I think you will not be Max's first choice for babysitting anymore :)

gmacarolyn said...

Well, I just asked you (on Facebook) what the cat's name is - now I know! Tigger. That's cute. And he is a beautiful cat. He seems to be making himself right at home - not afraid or skittish, just lookin' around, seeing what he's got now. Good for you to get a pet for the kids. "They" say that pets are the best thing for kids - teaches them responsibility and unconditional love. Have fun with your new addition to the family!

KPiep said...

Congratulations to you all on your new addition. You know I wouldn't live in a family without pets because I know how much joy and love they can add! Have fun with the adjustment phase, and please do call if you have any questions!

Mimi said...

That is wonderful. You will love having a pet around. At least they don't talk back!!! If you have any questions, just call Josh and Angela, they have three cats and have been through it all. One is blind, one is deaf and the other one has asthma!!

Stephanie said...

I can't believe my eyes. YOU and a CAT. You know I love my Emma, so let me know if you have any questions. Cats are so low maintenance and way better than dogs (in my opinion, at least) so I'm sure you'll figure things out pretty easily.