Saturday, February 4, 2012

Love

Since it is now February let's talk about LOVE.  First let me just say that we don't celebrate Valentine's day.  In fact we have been known to forget that it is even a holiday.  I don't want Ryan to spend extra money just because everyone else is buying into some made up holiday and spending crazy amounts on flowers and chocolate.  I would rather he just tell me he loves me, or occasionally buy me flowers, or chocolate, or let me sleep in on a Saturday (did you read that honey, ha ha ha).  I have no problem with others celebrating and I have been known to make a heart shaped cake or pancakes for the kids. 
Love is a word that gets thrown around a lot.  I love chocolate (do you seen a pattern), I love my life, I love my kids, I love my family, I love the Lord.....the use is endless, and I can think of several things that I LOVE.  But is love easy?  Is love never ending? 
I will be the first one to say that I am not always easy to love (again, I can be mean, and fussy!) and I think most people would agree that loving someone is not always easy.  It takes work.  Someone the other day said she encourages young people to not get married young because it never works out.  While I agree that marriage shouldn't be entered into lightly, I dislike when people use the word never or always.  There are exceptions to the rules.  Ryan and I met when I was 16 and we have changed a lot since we met.  But one thing that didn't change was our desire to make our relationship work no matter what.  This is the message that we should be sending, not some blanket statement that young marriages never work.  Marriages are work no matter what age you are and it takes two people to make it work.  Love has to be part of a marriage, but wow there is so much more!  You need compromise, understanding, passion, and a will to make things work always.  You need communication and you have to be willing to change with the other person because as life comes, you will change.  I know Ryan and I have a long way to go before we can be "experts" on the subject of marriage, but I hope my kids look at our relationship and know that while marriage isn't easy it is totally worth it.
Is love never ending?  Hmmmm I don't know.  You can love someone even if they are not with you, but I don't know if love has an end.  I hope that we will know love in all its forms in heaven so maybe it is never ending.  I know for certain that God's love is never ending, he doesn't care how bad we mess up, he will always love us no matter what, which is a great feeling because as you all know now I mess up all the time.
Love you all!

2 comments:

granny said...

Love you too.

Mimi said...

I agree about marriage and making a blanket statement that getting married young never works out. I was 14 when Jonnie and I met and we got married when I was 19 and we just celebrated 46 years of marriage. It's not easy but it can work if you both work at it. I love reading your blog by the way!