Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Whole 30 Wrap Up

Thursday marks 30 days of healthy eating for us and we have learned quite a bit.  So instead of a small Facebook post I have decided to blog about it.
What I have learned:
Sugar addiction is real and very hard to break!
30 days is not long enough for me to cut that addiction (my body hates sugar, but my brain loves it!).
Groceries are expensive when you are eating well, but there are cheaper ways, and I am working at getting our grocery budget back to an acceptable place.
I can't wait to have a large garden.
I enjoy eating vegetables (especially when they are roasted to the point that they are almost burnt!)
Telling people you are doing whole 30 or paleo brings out weird responses, so from now on, we are not paleo we are just eating healthy. 
I need more skillets (one big one and one small one just don't cut it)
I don't miss my toaster
I do miss the convenience of the drive through or microwave meals, or sandwiches. 
I miss my flavored coffee.
I have an amazing amount of energy (even though I am sleepy most days because the girls are not in a good sleeping routine yet.).
My stomach is feeling much better.
I am no longer so bloated that people wonder if I am pregnant.
I have not lost weight but my shape has changed (this was never about losing weight, because I don't want or need to lose any!).
I can't wait to start exercising so I can feel even better.
I still feel guilty telling my kids they can't have treats (I am learning to make healthier treats for them).
I love that my kids think orange peppers and blueberries are treats now.
I need a second fridge for fresh snacks.
I love my new food processor.
I am becoming a better cook (using spices and making meals I have never tried before).
Eating this way is not THAT hard.  It takes preparation, planning, and a bit of practice.
I have found that if I keep ground meat in the freezer I can have a quick meal on the table for those nights that I just don't feel like cooking a big meal or when I forget to thaw out meat :)
I love to cook, but I hate doing the dishes.
I felt like part of my identity died when I gave up my white flour and sugar.  I have always enjoyed baking for my family and others, it has been my passion for a while.  So now I am determined to find alternative ways to bake, better ways to make occasional treats that don't taste like cardboard or Styrofoam.
I was very upset that I had an allergic reaction to coconut!  That was my go to "sweet" and my way to continue baking.  I now think it was actually a great thing because I was trying to replace sweets with coconut, and now I must face the fact that I don't need sweets!
Even though our 30 days are coming to an end, this has been a very successful time and we plan to keep eating healthy and finding a better way to slow down and be a stronger family!  We want to give our kids the best path to healthy living so they can make the best choices in eating and in life.  We are still learning, we are going to make less healthy choices now and then, but we are going to be a bit more conscious on how certain foods affects us and if those affects are worth the treat.  Eventually we are going to try to add in a few things (real butter, real cream, honey, pure maple syrup) just to help offset some of the cost and to give us options, but my theory is if we don't miss a food it isn't coming back.  Thanks to those of you who have offered advice, and help.  Thank you to those of you who didn't role your eyes or give me some crazy lecture, and thank you to my amazing husband who not once balked at this idea!  Ryan I couldn't do anything without you by my side and I feel so super blessed that we get to live this crazy life together!   

No comments: